Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Senior Tax Director with tax planning and compliance in the areas of international, federal, state and local income, premium, and other taxes.
- Oversee the preparation of quarterly and annual federal and state tax provision, facilitate providing necessary information to external tax preparation firm, review all federal and state tax filings and ensure the accuracy and timely filing of all tax forms
- Oversees the external tax accounting firms in the preparation of the Company's tax returns, compliance matters, and special projects.
- Ensure accurate and timely filing of state and local sales and use tax returns.
- Review the filing of multi-state and local returns including sales and use and personal property tax.
- Assist in directing the short and long-range tax planning strategies and consults with senior management regarding tax issues.
- Coordinate all tax audits and examinations with regulatory bodies.
- Maintains effective working relationships with the Internal Revenue Service, outside attorneys, public accountants, and government officials.
- Work with Tax Director in playing a key role in the due diligence, negotiation and integration of mergers and acquisitions.
- Design, implement and document controls in income tax process.
- A minimum of 10 years tax experience required.
- Public accounting experience strongly desired but not essential
- Masters in Tax, CPA or Enrolled Tax Agent highly regarded
- Life insurance experience or pension knowledge.
- Strong partnership and collaborative style with excellent verbal, written and presentation skills especially for an audience who may not possess familiarity with finance.
- Demonstrated problem solving and creative skills and possesses the ability to exercise sound judgement and make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis.
- Ability to manage/lead cross functional teams in a fast paced, dynamic environment, to think strategically, act tactically & influence across the organization.
- Excellent program management and project management skills.